Built in 1928 by architect Arfvidson for Charles de Galles, the Prince of Wales and son of King George V of England, during his annual visits, the 159 room hotel on Paris’s Avenue George V was built on chaillot quarries and inspired by the Decorative Art exhibition of 1925. The hotel reopened last summer after a two and a half year, $100 million renovation which was overseen by Rochon.
The glamorous Art Deco inspired lobby is furnished with rich Makassar ebony, black Saint Laurent marble, wrought-iron filigree, and gilded accents. Rochon returned the hotel to its roots and specifically focused on the 1930s, which he describes as a time period “that is not yet very modern, but between the classical and the contemporary. It is really the difference between the past and the future.”
The courtyard’s restored mosaics highlight the hotel’s original detailing.